While you may be accustomed to a good spring cleaning of your home or bedroom, we want our patients to remember that spring is a good time to check in on your teeth and make sure you’re cleaning them thoroughly as well.
It may be a little tougher to clean your teeth when you have braces, and it may take a little longer. But, it’s especially important to make sure you’re cleaning well around those brackets. A few other things to remember:
* Avoid sugary drinks, which pool around braces and encourage cavities.
* Be sure to brush all the way up and along your gumline (under bottom braces and above top braces).
* Avoid sipping on beverages throughout the day (like coffee with sweetner). Enjoy your beverage in one sitting; then, be sure to brush.
* Stock up on the tiny interproximal brushes that you can buy at any drug store. These little brushes are perfect for getting under wires.
* Remember that it is particularly important to see your dentist and hygenist regularly while you have braces!